1. We celebrate the new year with a newly created tradition. Oysters at Eventide before noon, without the usual hour long wait, as the rest of Portland is still sleeping after New Years Eve.
2. It has been so cold for so long. We have used 20% more oil than we usually do, as we've had the thermostat turned up higher than our usual 68 degrees. We leave faucets running, so the pipes don't freeze. It's so cold that I am sick of hearing myself complain about how cold it is. I wake up in the middle of the night hearing strange sounds. The ocean freezes. What? The ocean can freeze?
3. Pink winter skies that take your breath away. The full wolf supermoon.
4. We concoct a drink out of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, lime juice, tequila and St. Germaine. She names it "The Denial."
5. The last college applications are submitted. There were so many supplements to write. The practice for the winter musical begins. I might already know all the songs.
6. I don't choose a word of the year [again]. It doesn't feel right to me.
7. The blizzard that canceled the out of state Endocrinology appointment, during the back to school week, that did not have much back to school time. Learning the word bombogenesis.
8. Late night phone calls.
9. Arnica on sore muscles. Epsom salt tubs. Wishing my skin and hair had more moisture during this time of year, because I feel dry and creaky. Finding a hot oil treatment and massaging my own scalp and hair with coconut oil. I am now a greasy mess, so I sleep with a towel on my pillow. I wish I had a shower cap.
10. Majorly purging the kitchen, dining room and my office. Piles to keep, piles of garbage and piles for goodwill. Hello to 2018.